Tuesday 17 May 2016

The night before - it may be about machines, but this time it's personal

Days until upgrade: 0


It's the night before the big switchover, but instead of enjoying the sounds that I have become so used to (and I love) I have turned them off and I'm sitting here in enforced silence.

I'm not sure what says about me! Perhaps I am a sucker for 'punishment' or I want to start the letting go process... (In case something goes wrong)

So letting go of what I have become so used to over the last 5 years.

Over the last few days or so I have made sure that I have spoken 1-1, where possible, to people that mean the most to me, so that I can listen to their voices without distraction. I wanted to remember what those people's voices sound like NOW, as they are incredibly precious sounds to me, I truly adore them, more than those people will ever know.

Of course those people won't have been aware what I have been doing, I haven't sat them down and said, 'just talk to me, I don't want to forget what you sound like, in case you never sound the way you do now.' I have just babbled on in my usual random manner, and listened perhaps a little more intensely than usual.

How I have grown to love those voices - some who I have known forever, some who are a lot newer to me, but all are equally loved.

I look forward to hearing them again after tomorrow, how I will drink them in - people can recite the alphabet or shipping forecast, but it will be the most perfect thing ever as long I can hear the familiarity of their voices.

1 comment:

  1. Your words tugged at my heart, Emma. Powerful words (your written words and their spoken ones). Take care, Dee.

    ReplyDelete