Sunday 15 May 2016

A joke or a techie?

Days until upgrade: 3

So another week has gone by and another week of ruminating has taken place.

In the interests of sharing, I have told a few people about what is coming up and it mostly has been received with perplexed faces, I must admit "I've been called for an upgrade," doesn't naturally flow in 2016 conversation, maybe in 2116 it will be a more regular part of dialogue.

The people I have told have either made it into a joke, ahh... getting a new head,  (Oh, I so wish I could ...) type of thing, or have needed the full on technical description of what an upgrade actually entails. So depending on the viewpoint I either am now feeling:

A joke: I am such a bloody freak I do new a new head as the current one is so awful it needs upgrading for 'normalities' sake

Or 

A techie: I am a full on cyborg, I have been reduced to describing myself in the terms of circuitry and gigabytes in light of my new blue tooth functionality and improved operating systems.

Of course, my sole and enduring 'want/need' in this life, is to be human. I feel like one of the robots yearning for humaneness in Isaac Asimov's Bicentennial Man, but ironically which each new 'upgrade' it's taking me further away from being human.

No comments:

Post a Comment