Tuesday 6 December 2011

Now Ludwig and I are One

Whooo - hello - time flies and all that.

Somehow it seemed appropriate to put fingers to keyboard to make reference to the fact that Ludwig is due to celebrate it's first birthday.... I'm one year on from implantation.

So..... what is the biggest 'hearing' difference in a year living with my implant? Environmental sounds - I had forgotten that they existed... the sound of pegs as they clip onto the washing line, taps running (though I still don't react to the sound and leave the sink to overflow...), background chatter (though I still can't make out all of what is being said, I get the semblance of words spoken). Yes lipreading is easier and I don't always have to follow people's faces (at least people who I know well) so much - but the bottom line is I am still a deaf person, albeit in a different way.

I remember that I received an award just before the op last year - well I have gone on to be awarded this year's version of that same award - so my brain much be functioning OK! I've also gone on to do a slightly different job - so having the implant has not been a hindrance or a barrier in a work sense. The only issue I could say about the workplace is that people seem to think a cochlear implant is a miracle cure - nope - I'm still deaf and I still fall asleep during meetings.

Casting my mind back, the biggest concern I had (apart from having my hair shaved off - ironic in that I DO have short hair now by choice) - was that would I ever be ME again? Hmmmm.... to tell the truth I don't think I can answer that one honestly - I still have ongoing identity issues that plague me... I still don't associate myself with the photo's taken of me before the operation, it does seem that person has gone - I feel more brittle now (which certainly doesn't make any sense). I think that possibly I am acting out the person who I think I am. Well it took time for me to accept my deafness in the first place, so I suppose it will take time to accept the new version of me now.

So would I go back and NOT have the implant? Absolutely NOT - it was the totally right thing for me to do at that time. If I was to be offered an implant for my other ear (which incidentally is practically useless, even with a hearing aid) - I would jump at the chance. Weird pluses include the comfort of wearing the implant compared to a hearing aid - it may look rather freaky but it vastly reduces the number of ear infections.

Of course, there have been challenging times on many occasions this year. The numerous scalp and implant site infections (plus turbo antibiotics, creams and being banned from wearing my implant for a week - the equivalent of being put into solitary confinement); the mapping sessions and getting my brain acclimatised to new hearing road maps; the day-to-day practicalities of being charged up, having spare batteries available, asking people to 'hold that thought' whilst you fumble around trying to rig yourself up again. The tinnitus remains horrendous...

So, that's a whistle stop tour of where 365 days takes you with an implant - Happy Birthday Ludwig.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,

    I'm Robert and I recently replied to your comment on the Limping Chicken. I'd really like to know more of what you mean when you say that you're "struggling with identity" and figure that it's more appropriate to ask you here rather than there.

    With a CI, I guess that you don't feel either Deaf or hearing but somewhere in between? Do you feel any different to how you did wearing a hearing aid? I wonder if people treat you differently and, if so, how?

    And I fully agree with you - there's too much focus on the technical fixes and far too little emphasis on the emotional aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert/Charlie.
    I guess the identity stuff is a tricky one - particularly because of the cyborg element of having a device fitted which can operate without my human input. An example - I can plug a MP3 player directly into my implant processor - which results in the MP3 player and the internal part of the implant working together without me 'physically' doing anything - music in my head and I can sit there passively.

    With the CI I do still feel deaf - I am deaf, just deaf in a slightly different way. CI is no miracle cure, but it is the chance to be deaf differently. Say I wear my CI for 8 in the morning until 10 at night, that's 14 hours of the day - leaving 10 hours where I am completely and utterly deaf.

    Do I feel different than when I was wearing my hearing aid - kinda - a more technological deafy! Do people treat me differently, some yes, they think I have received a miracle cure!

    The technical fixes are great - but they are that - technical modifications to a bog standard human being.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete