Friday 14 January 2011

The Last Post

Days since activation of implant: 15

Hello Dear Readers.
Today is going to be my last post on this blog.
As far as my cochlear implant journey goes, there isn't really much new to report each day - me telling you about sounds you are familiar with is Not such exciting reading!

I thought I'd sum up the whole experience (to date) so that if any of you are thinking about an implant for yourself or a member of your family you have my opinion - like it or not :)

So here goes!
Before
  • Make sure that your audiologist gives you the choice of where you will be treated, and check out your options. I am really pleased I chose Glan Clywd - they have been marvellous, treating me like a human being with thoughts, ideas and feelings at all times.
  • Try and find a buddy (if you are lucky like me your hospital will help). Getting to know Carla was really important to me (when if I did come across as having a hair fixation). Know one really understands like someone who has also walked down the same path, wearing the same shoes. I'm lucky now in that I have a friend for life in Carla.
  • Talk. What I mean is, don't bottle things up. Even if you just manage to tell people that you feel scared, say it. 
  • Make sure that you fully research different implant manufacturers (not all implants are the same). Try and find one that will work for YOU in YOUR life.
  • Lean on your friends and family. In my case my wider family just weren't there. My friends have been invaluable - they have shown me such kindness and understanding, even when I was at my most manic.
  • My own immediate family - Hubby, Dear Son and Dear Daughter have been, and continue to be amazing.

During (surgery)
  • Rest - it's pretty major having your head unzipped. 
  • Sleep as much as you can.
  • Don't be embarrassed about your bald head - show it off with pride - it's one of the few times you can get away with a really wacky hair do :)

After (switch on)
  • Expect the unexpected - everybody's experiences are different. Mine was amusing, some people's emotional.
  • Be realistic - it DOES sound very different from anything you have ever heard before.
  • Give yourself a break, if you have had years of deafness it WILL take time to get used to using your brain in a different way.
  • Don't be embarrassed about wearing your implant - it is cool head gear for special people! AND don't let other people make you feel embarrassed either - they are the one's with the issue.
  • Learn relaxation techniques, on the off chance you develop tinnitus - every little helps.
So that's it. It has been a really useful experience for me to blog each day - I can look back on the last two months and feel proud of myself for taking such a big step.

You never know - we might find ourselves back here in the future with Emma's Cochlear Implant Journey - Part Two (but I guess that's another story!!)

Just to let you know that I have opened up the comments section if you want to say hello.

That's all from me Dear Readers,

Emma xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. For me as a person who has only heard the other side of the story, from profoundly congenitally Deaf families, your blog has been great. I have only heard hatred for the idea of cochlear implants because *why* would you want to be hearing (of all things). For me your blog has been incredibly interesting, enlightening, funny, moving, entertaining and charming and I will miss it very much! Take good care and happy hearing! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... thank you so much, and for taking the time to read.
    Many thanks for your good wishes,
    Emma xxxx (who's happy to be a deaf person, who now wears a CI)

    ReplyDelete