Friday 7 January 2011

Have a break, have an implant break

Days since activation of implant: 8
New sounds: The telephone ringing in my hall

Well somehow I survived the week - discovered some new stuff, been reminded of the old stuff. It's been a week of odd reactions to say the least...

I can certainly tell a difference between the sound maps, and it does feels I have maybe taken a step backwards in the learning process today. 

I DO think that I and everyone around me need to remember that having the cochlear implant is NOT a cure for deafness, it's just like having a hearing aid embedded in your head (Carla my implantee buddy's words - not mine, she has got her head around things much better than me).

Obviously the long-term hope is that things like lip reading will become easier and less tiring. As Elaine the hearing therapist said yesterday, it's only been 7 days out of a life time; give yourself a break.

Well I'm having a break at the moment as Hubby and Dear Son are having a jamming session. Since I had a horrendous bout of tinnitus which sounded like garbled guitars I am sitting here minus my hearing devices - which feels like I have switched my brain off too!

No comments:

Post a Comment