Saturday 1 January 2011

Bring on 2011 :)

Days since activation of implant: 2
New sounds: the clock 'ticks' in my front room

Firstly - a very happy, healthy, kind, motivating, wish fulfilling New Year to you dear readers - if you have ever wanted to do something new, let this be the year that you do it. Without sounding cheesy, every day really does count (and don't forget to wear some sparkles, your best frocks and to burn your fancy candles).

I DO hope that you can continue on this journey with me - it feels a little scary at the moment, so the more riders in the train, the better.

I was reminded yesterday that no matter what, my 'hearing condition' was for life anyway (believe me - it is one 'present' I'd had gladly given back) - so in essence I have replaced one life long condition with something else - the implant - which is still a condition I'll have to work around in some shape or form, plus without the implant I'm now even more profoundly deaf than ever :(

While I might be coming across as a grumpy, ungrateful cow at the moment, I apologise, the whole issue with losing my hearing continues to be an issue for me.

Anyway, I'll slap on my positive face - you'll be glad to know that I lasted pretty much all day with the processor on yesterday, it's not uncomfortable to wear and to be honest I can hardly tell I'm wearing it for most of the time. The magnetic coil is actually quite cosy, though the implant site itself is quite swollen still. 

It is nice not having a load of plastic squished in my ear too. Incidentally the wonderfully kind people at Glan Clywd gave me something called a 'drying box' to take the moisture out of both my processor and hearing aid {it's a bit like a tumble dryer for hearing devices!!}. It is a BRILLIANT gadget, for the first time ever my poor stinky hearing aid has actually felt clean and fresh, which will hopefully reduce the number of ear infections that I get. It does make me wonder why the English NHS don't provide these - think of all the money they would save on antibiotics.

Anyway, when I'm sitting in the quiet of my front room, I can hear my mantle clock ticking, which Hubby tells me is actually very quiet indeed. When others are talking I can't hear it, but then again, people with good hearing wouldn't necessarily hear it either. Environmental sounds are easier to understand than speech so far, as their tones are usually quite deep and in one pitch.

When I went to bed last night, I had the strangest bout of tinnitus ever, it was like two cats screeching at each other. My poor brain was obviously trying to suck sound from somewhere... perhaps it was missing Ludwig!

No comments:

Post a Comment