Sunday 2 January 2011

White Noise

Days since activation of implant: 3
New sounds: Hubby playing the guitar badly (while he is upstairs and I am downstairs)

My head is still buzzing from all the new information that Ludwig is providing me, it gets a bit much sometimes and I have to yank the damn thing off (carefully, obviously).

Something that I didn't prepare myself for is the new additions to my daily regime.

In the morning I have to switch everything on, then check the battery (which is a rechargeable) to see if it has enough power for the day (more noise requires more battery power as the processor needs to work harder).
I then have to put my other battery to charge on it's recharging dock.
Following this I then switch my remote control (Ludwig 2) on, to alter the hearing environment, if required, and to do the 'is everything working OK' check.

At night the whole process is reversed, but Ludwig has to be placed in the drying out box. I have four different chargers and plugs for all these gadgets...

I came across an Australian blog yesterday of a woman called Katie who has done a similar blog about the process of receiving a cochlear implant. Weirdly we have both written about almost identical things - which makes who feel a little more normal thankfully. 

Katie had also written in depth about the isolation of deafness, personally I don't think those feelings will ever truly go away - at least with the implant it shows that we are willing to try pretty much anything (after all, given the choice would you willingly choose to walk around with a magnet and wires sticking to your head for the rest of your life??) to be accepted and included in the hearing world.

There's now only one day until I am due back at work, which I am dreading. The last four weeks seem to have sapped what confidence I had. While the work won't really have changed to much, I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment