Monday 3 January 2011

White Noise - Part two

Days since activation of implant: 4
New sounds: Dear Son chattering on his mobile in the kitchen, where he thinks I can't hear him (no more hiding from Mummy, ha ha!!)

I'm going to apologise before I continue, as this one is going to get pretty graphic. In fairness to the cochlear implant journey I am going to have to detail the nocturnal events which are happening.

As mentioned previously, Ludwig my processor gets switched off and put into it's drying case for the evening. Last night I fancied a bit of a read, so took a book up to bed with me. After an hour or so I felt tired, so put my book down and turned off the lights (Hubby was dozing away merrily at this point).

Anyway, I switched off the light and got back into bed (this was about midnight), then it started - the white noise. 

This noise is a new take on tinnitus (I have suffered from tinnitus for years, but this is really something else). The minute I try to relax and go to sleep the noise begins. Last night it sounded like the warbled sounds of a guitar playing (was it my brain trying to keep a grasp of what it had heard in the day??). It then turned to screeches and the hiss of white noise. Believe me, it sounds so loud to me I want to YELL loudly for it to SHUT UP. Part of me wanted to smash my head against the wall to make the sounds stop, it was pure torture.

For then next FOUR hours, I tossed, turned, sat up, lay back down, put my head under the pillow, propped my head up with more pillows to try and make it go away. In seriousness I considered getting up and swigging a bottle of Night Nurse or something to knock myself out.The last tine I looked at my clock it was 4.31am...

I eventually woke up at just before 10am, which doesn't bode well for getting up for work tomorrow. I currently feel like crap. I'm really hoping that at my mapping appointment on Thursday I can be given some useful strategies to manage it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment