Friday 31 December 2010

Ludwig is glowering at me in the corner....

Days since activation of implant: 1
New sounds: None yet, as I haven't got Ludwig out of the box...

By the end of the day yesterday my brain stopped recognising sounds and the sound level from the implant dropped significantly (I was warned that this would happen). In typical deafy fashion, I just wanted it to be LOUDER and LOUDER.

Well, it's the first new day of my 'other' deaf life.
I'm feeling more emotional about the experience today, the excitement of yesterday has given way to feeling a little more anxious today (thank goodness for the miracle of happy pills).

The new sounds that I heard yesterday are so vastly different to what I have heard before, even what I think I can remember hearing before. It is so strange having the sensation of sound inside my head instead of it blasting at my ear drums. Its almost as if I can feel the sensation of the electrodes firing off. Another thing I noticed is that there is a very, very slight delay in the sound registering - which I suppose is understandable, given that the processors need to do their work.

Hubby thinks that my new head gear is cool - given that he is quite a fan of the Six Million Dollar Man, he now has his very own Cyborg.

Anyway, I expect I'm going to have to bite the proverbial bullet and get Ludwig out now...

No comments:

Post a Comment