Friday 17 December 2010

Embracing cybernetics

Number of sleeps since implantation: 11
Today's thoughts: an onion as well as a cyborg

I have an aching skull today. Everyday seems to reveal another layer of ache - perhaps it's the healing from inside out.

I'm also a bit of a clumsy so-and-so, as I banged my head getting into my car. Fortunately it about 2 inches away from where the implant is - even so it was a bit of a wake-up call about being careful.

Anyway, time for today's cochlear implant fact! An implant uses binary language (0 and 1) which is then processed by the circuitry inside the implant, which now lives in my skull.  This binary language is then converted into signals, which my brain then (well hopefully) makes sense of and learns to interpret as sound.

It's amazing to think that the device which is now melding it's way into my humanness has more power than a lot of desktop PCs.

Must dash, visitors have arrived - I hope the weekend is a good one for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment