Tuesday 14 December 2010

Something I wasn't expecting

Number of sleeps since implantation: 8
Today's thoughts: Re: Re: yesterdays and the day before - actually it is  : s

Today was 'stitches out' day at Glan Clywd - which turned into a quick but painful affair. My head didn't pop open and it seems that the surgeons have all done a fantastic job. My hair is also growing back quite rapidly (fortunately more or less the same colour too - always a bonus!) - but anything covering the scar area really irritates me at the moment, so I'm having to clip my weird 'half hair' back out of the way.

Anyway, after the stitches (ouch, painful - meany nurse) were removed and I had met with one of the surgeons it was time for surprise number one! Apparently some big-wig from NHS Wales had popped in to watch my surgery (blinking heck, the theatre must have been rather crowded) and is now interested in my case and I was asked if I minded him coming along to my activation. Of course, I'm all for sharing the good work of the NHS, so agreed. 
A bit funny that even when I am not at work I'm still doing my bit for the 'patient experience'

Next it was time for surprise number two - my audiologist wanted to test the implant, which I wasn't expecting to happen so soon. 
Anyway, she rigged my up to the machine and attached the magnet to my head (weird, but not in a bad way - it gave me the giggles), next she asked me to say if I heard or felt anything (us deafies feel sound when it can't be heard). 

As there are 22 implant channels each was switched on in turn - and I HEARD a beep/ring sound for every single one!!!!

OK it sounded like a out-of-tune Recorder recital, as played by a five year old - but at least I heard it. It was absolutely bonkers hearing sound inside my head, instead of having the sound blasted at my defunct ear drums. It was a kinda emotional experience.

To top the visit off I was given a H U G E case (to keep, ha ha) full of the implant bits, bobs and gadgets - I love a 'pack' so I'm just steadying myself before  I properly unpack it. The funniest thing is that the case looks like a giant ipod! I'm really hoping that I can have some 'show and tell' sessions so that I can show off the goods.

The big 'switch on' will take place on the 30th of December, so yet another countdown now begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment