Monday 20 December 2010

Time for a new countdown

Number of sleeps until activation of implant: 10
Today's thoughts: London Calling (very quietly)

Yesterday we ventured to London, as it was our 9 year old Goddaughter's and BIL's Christmas present. As we're big fans of the big city (being rural mice) we decided to give GD and BIL an 'experience' for Christmas. It was also going to be an experience for me too - going to a big, noisy city with just one sort-of functioning ear (or hearing device).

It was a total joy to see London through GD's eyes - which was made even more memorable thanks to the snow in London. Despite the cold we all had a brill time, managing to squeeze in Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Houses of Parliament, South Bank, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, China Town, Piccadilly Circus and Hyde Park Winter Wonderland into a day! Virgin Trains decided to *give* us a tour of the Midlands on the way home, so our journey ended up taking 4 hours - we eventually got home at 3am...
So London in mono - my first impressions were that it was extremely quiet... Then I realised it was me NOT London. I did feel slightly worried when walking around that I was going to get my head bashed - the implant seems to be very close to the surface of my skin and I have weird visions of it popping out... eeewwww.

Today I have started my countdown to implant activation (aka - learning to be deaf in a different way). 
I have read many stories about activation day and it seems that to start with I will hear a cross between Donald Duck, Daleks and Miss. Othmar (from the Peanuts cartoon). My brain will have to start habituating the sound to sound like what I think things sound like... it's so complicated.

London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
London Calling
I never felt so much alive, alive, alive...
 
~ The Clash

No comments:

Post a Comment