Thursday 30 December 2010

Ludwig and I

Number of sleeps until activation of implant: 0 - today's the day

Not sure that I can even begin describing today, it has been the strangest day ever...

Here is a summary.

Arrived at hospital and introduced to Chief Exec chap.
Rigged up to the computer by Dr. Marie - hearing aid removed.
Another test of the electrodes to check that they are still firing - they were.

The moment of truth, the big switch on by Dr. Marie..... a slight pause... cue lots of strange bleeps and whirrs (imagine the sound of being 'beamed' somewhere in Star Trek/Wars) another pause, then a strange tinny voice saying, 'can you hear me? Tell me if you hear anything?'
I then burst into laughter as it sounded like I was being addressed by a mixture of Mickey Mouse, R2D2 and C-P30 - the 'big moment' and all I could do was giggle :D

We all then sat around marvelling at how wonderful the human brain is, while I continued to giggle...
A short break for a brew, then I met the hearing therapist, who put me through my paces to determine where the rehab needs to start.

Bizarrely I ACED all the tests, I have never concentrated so hard in my life! She and Hubby were really amazed (me too - I was being very serious at this point) - I must point out at this point my responses are the exception to the rule, people don't normally recite sentences after just an hour of wearing an implant.

Elaine the hearing therapist then took me on an 'environmental tour' to listen to doors, air conditioning, toilets flushing(!!!) and such like, weird - I never realised these things makes noises. I'm also going to have to start tip toeing about, I sound like a fairy elephant clomping around.

After lunch we concentrated on setting up my remote assistant, which is now known as Ludwig 2. I now have a variety of programmes to try before my next appointment in 7 days time.

It is fair to say I am absolutely exhausted now, my brain is well and truly frazzled - which is normal.
Think I am going to have to take a fold up bed wherever I go then I can have a nap - goodness only knows how I am going to get on when I go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment