Tuesday 21 December 2010

I'm back, kinda

Number of sleeps until activation of implant: 9
Today's thoughts: too many to narrow it down

A big day for me, re-visiting the workplace, have I changed? Has it changed? Not really but yes (which probably makes no sense whatsoever...)

I must admit my stomach really churned on the short drive to my workplace. Thankfully, my wonderfully thoughtful friend met me at the door and walked me through the building to our office (I'd possibly have been standing there now if she hadn't).

The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was, not that it was actually quiet, but hearing through one ear made everywhere seem ultra silent - even though I could see people chattering away around me. My team were as kind as ever - we seem to share the same ironic sense of humour which helps (and yes we can try attaching paperclips to my head!!!)

After an hour I really felt tired, I hadn't really accounted for the fact that hearing outside my house is doubly tiring when in mono - something I will have be mindful of - one step at a time, as I was reminded today!

This afternoon Hubby and I visited Bridgemere Garden World on our mission to visit all of the garden centres in our locality. It was really quiet (yes, quiet quiet) so we enjoyed a mooch, plus fortifying slice of carrot cake.

Today's cochlear implant fact - an implant has 22 electrodes which attempt to generate sound. These 22 electrodes work in combination to create the tone, pitch etc. The human ear has approximately 3,500 inner ear hair cells, which work together to create sound. I think this fact brings home the reality comparison of what an implant may achieve compared to 'normal' hearing. However, I am very grateful to have this opportunity to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment